|Reporting To||Operations Manager|
The Sea Cider team has built a company culture that embodies many values. We have a sense of humour and a positive outlook; we are kind, conscientious and reliable; we enjoy collaborating and learning from each other. Other fundamental values by which we operate include:
- a respectful, service-oriented approach to everyone.
- earnestness, transparency, integrity and honesty.
- a desire for meaning and earning more than a pay cheque.
As someone on our team you live and work by these values too.
Focus of Accountability
The Cidermaker is accountable for fermenting, blending, chapitalizing, clarifying, testing and ensuring the organic compliance of our ciders. The Cidermaker is also accountable for cleaning and sanitization duties, supporting the Operations Manager in production planning, supply chain and equipment maintenance, and supporting the Cidermaster in quality management. As a member of the Operations Team, ensures that cidermaking supports Sales & Marketing, Service, Operations, and business goals.
- Organic Compliance – Responsible not only for organic compliance record keeping and reporting, but also insuring at Sea Cider’s organic status is maintained
- Information management – Collects operations data. Reports data against performance metrics. Keeps timely and accurate operations records.
- Planning and analysis – Assists the Operations Manager as needed in preparing departmental plans and ROI analyses.
- Standard Operating Procedures & Policies – works in compliance with these as well as with Sea Cider’s organic certification and safety requirements. Assists with improving policies and standard operating procedures when requested.
- HACCP planning, updating and compliance
- QA/QC in new product development
- Staff Supervising – oversees Operations Assistants as needed to ensure that direct reports are executing their functions successfully and per Standard Operating Procedures.
- Equipment maintenance – assisting with preventive maintenance and repairs
- Project Management – As directed by the Operations Manager, acts as Project Manager on new Operations initiatives when requested.
- Public Relations – when required, represents Sea Cider at promotional events. Conducts site tours for media and customers on occasion; performs public relations as required.
- Supports management, the Operations Team and other Sea Cider divisions when requested.
Knowledge & Skills Required
This is a technical position with some assistant management and supervisory responsibilities. We are seeking a hands-on problem solver who enjoys physical work but has had both post-secondary education and experience related to this position. Others describe you as a conscientious individual who collaborates well with others and who is constantly seeking challenges and ways of doing things better. Other helpful attributes include:
- Familiarity with Canada’s National Organic Standards.
- A proven track record of successful problem solving and collaboration.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Superior skills using database, spreadsheet and drawing tools.
- A proven ability to build and maintain positive internal and external relationships.
- A high degree of professionalism, initiative and personal accountability.
- The ability to work well under pressure, and to effectively prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- The ability to assess problems, recommend actions and implement appropriate solutions.
- Proven success in fostering positive change as well as a continuous improvement mindset. A desire to work for a business that is growing and seeking to continually improve.
- A willingness to work flexible hours, including weekends and evenings to meet business needs.
- The ability to operate a forklift and other production equipment, manually lift up to 25 kg
- A valid driver’s licence
About Sea Cider
Sea Cider is a small, young, rapidly growing farm and award-winning cider producer. Incorporated in 2004, it was borne from the owner’s desire to build a community-minded business rooted in farming. At its core, Sea Cider exists to create positive cider experiences and to:
- be a profitable family-owned farm business
- provide high quality cider and positive experiences for its customers
- provide a safe and fulfilling work environment for its staff
- operate as a value-driven business that is an asset to the community
Since sales began in 2007, Sea Cider has grown to nearly 40 employees. Cider wholesales span Western Canada and the US. Locally, Sea Cider is known as one of the region’s top attractions, greeting visitors year round for tours and tastings. The ciderhouse is also a unique agri-chic venue for weddings and corporate events.
Please email a resume and cover letter to Kathy Neeves at Evolution HR Services.