SALES MANAGER – POSITION DESCRIPTION
|Job Title||Sales Manager|
|Direct Reports||5 to 10|
|Last updated||Sep 7 2018 KN|
About Sea Cider
Sea Cider is a rapidly growing, certified organic farm and award-winning cider producer. Incorporated in 2004, it was borne from the owner’s desire to build a community-minded business rooted in farming. At its core, Sea Cider exists to create exceptional cider experiences and to:
- be a profitable family-owned farm business
- provide high quality cider and positive experiences for its customers
- provide a safe and fulfilling work environment for its staff
- operate as a value-driven business that is an asset to the community
Since sales began in 2007, Sea Cider has grown to nearly 40 employees with annual cider production approaching 12,000 cases and growing. Sea Cider produces several styles of cider – from traditional to innovative – which consistently win awards. Cider wholesales span Western North America. Locally, Sea Cider is known as one of the region’s top attractions, greeting visitors year round for tours and tastings. The ciderhouse is also a unique agri-chic venue for cider-centric events.
Our work culture embodies many values. We have a sense of humour and a positive outlook; we are kind, conscientious and reliable; we enjoy collaborating and learning from one another; and we are tenacious in our efforts to produce exceptional cider. Other fundamental values by which we operate include:
- a respectful, service-oriented approach to everyone;
- transparency, integrity and honesty; and
- a desire for meaning and earning more than a pay cheque.
As someone on our team you live and work by these values too.
Focus of Accountability
The Sales Manager’s focus of accountability is meeting revenue and profit targets, achieved by taking a collaborative, team-based approach.
Department management – The Sales Manager is accountable for meeting Departmental targets and managing all activities, schedules, resources and personnel in the Department.
Project management and process improvement – The Sales Manager leads special projects in sales and improvements in Standard Operating Procedures and sales protocols across all revenue streams. S/he drives initiatives that contribute to revenue growth and business profitability.
Business planning and analysis – The Sales Manager collaborates with the Owner and Management Team in both strategic and tactical planning to ensure that the Sales Department works closely with the marketing team and supports Service, Operations, Finance and overall corporate goals. Business planning is data-driven, and as such the Sales Manager ensures that Sales data is collected, tabulated, shared and analyzed against performance metrics.
Public Relations – the Sales Manager regularly represents Sea Cider at promotional events, acts as a point of contact for issue management and client concerns, conducts site tours for media, industry representatives and customers, attends Sea Cider’s open houses, and performs other public relations activities.
This position requires an experienced professional with an exceptional track record as a sales team leader in a collaborative environment who is excited by the opportunity to work for a community-minded yet growth-oriented company. In addition, the position requires:
- Education: Post secondary degrees and/or certification
- Work experience in a sales role: At least ten years
- Industry experience: Preference given to food and beverage, hospitality, events
- Experience in a small business environment: demonstrable success leading revenue growth and profitability in a growth-oriented small business environment
- Management and leadership experience: Five – ten years, with a career trajectory of increasing responsibility.
- Sales Management approaches: from mentoring sales associates to collaborating with management peers and a service orientation, experience with management approaches that led to team success
- HR management: experience recruiting, supervising, training, evaluating staff performance and providing effective feedback
- Stakeholder relationships: demonstrated success in problem solving, collaboration and team building. A proven ability to build and maintain positive and effective internal and external relationships
- Communication skills, both written and oral: exceptional
- Software experience: extensive, using a variety of programs
- Financial management skills: managing departmental budgets, reporting on variance, ROI analysis, etc
- A gift for customer service and a proven track record in problem solving, resolving customer complaints successfully, and avoiding complaints in the first place!
- Personal aptitude: a high degree of professionalism, initiative and personal accountability for meeting deliverables. Excellent time management and coordination skills. The ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously. The ability to work well under pressure and a willingness to “roll up your sleeves” to get the job done. Curiosity, great listening skills and an openness to feedback from colleagues.
- Work week flexibility: A willingness to work flexible hours, including occasional weekends and evenings, to meet the needs of the business
- A desire to work for a business that is growing and seeking to continually improve